Sunday, April 5, 2020

5 ways to help cope with anxiety & stress

I don't know about you, but I am personally really needing this post. I wanted to research ways to let go of all this stress I have been carrying. I personally do a few specific things in my home to help cope with anxiety and specially now with so much un-certainty with this COVID-19 virus going around I thought a blog post on ways to help deal with was much needed and over due. I hope you can find something here to help ease you a little, also know that there are local mental health agencies and counselors out there that can help during this time if your feeling really over whelmed. We have to take care of our mental health through all of this. I follow on Facebook my city's health department and mental health department and some good links and resources are given that way for coping strategies. Also a Google search or Pinterest search on "ways to cope with stress" can help with tons of other ideas, that I may not have mentioned here. I wanted to choose a few that I use daily and know that work and share today, stay safe!


1. Take a hot bath. This is my #1. If you have a bath, use it. Something about hot water, bath salts and bubbles that literally takes away most of my anxiety and you feel fantastic afterwards. Bonus if you can add lavender bath salts or oils to your water. Found a article on what taking relaxing baths can do for you here


2. Lavender.  I use Doterra oil Lavender essential oil, a pure oil that is sourced from a trusted company for all my oily needs. Over the years I have tried so many types of oils and quickly learned lavender is my main go to that works insanely good for my anxiety!! I use it before bed, before a exam, before work etc. I use lavender oil directly on on my temples and wrist, mixed with a part oil carrier mix. I have created "roller ball" bottles that hold the perfect hand held amount to use simply by rolling on my skin. This is mixed with a Doterra carrier oil and 6 drops of essential lavender oil. You can find the roller ball bottles here on amazon, I like amber colored bottles because light doesn't penetrate it as easily and extends the shelf life of the oils. I am not a Doterra representative, just a customer who loves their products and can testify they work and worth a try! If you don't have oils to use, no worries I would look for bath salts infused with it, natural essential oil candles with it infused, dresser sachets, pillow sprays. If you grow your own lavender, then simply picking some and placing in a jar near your bed is wonderful.


3. Go Outside. Another one that I swear it works, get outside and get in touch with nature. Fresh air, sub on your skin lifts the spirits and calms the mind. Find a place that speak to your soul, I love sitting near the lake and collecting beach glass with my son. We also just sit and listen to the sounds of the waves. We also like to trail walk, being outdoors and hearing birds and all the sounds of nature calms us both.


4. Have a centering object. When your feeling anxious have something to center those feelings onto, like: a necklace with a pendant, a pocket coin, a worry stone, a teddy bear. Something you can physically touch or hold.  I carry a heart shaped lake rock I found 3 years ago and keep it in my pocket for big events, if you see me with my hand in my pocket chances are I'm rubbing that stone. I also carry a large smooth button in my pocket. I actually make pocket coins in my shop, if this is something your looking for or sounds like you would want. Take a look here

Passion Flower, pretty cool huh?  photo credit

5. Supplements. This is something I need to explore more! There are so many natural ways to help calm anxiety. I currently take a Physician prescribed anxiety medication, however it has a short life and by mid day its already left my system. So finding something to help ease me into my night time routine and have a good nights rest would be wonderful. I did some research and found these to be top recommended by most sites, for anxiety: Omega-3, Valerian, Passion Flower, GABA are just a few to name. I love that I can look up my options on Amazon and read the reviews before making my decision on what I'm going to add. Some supplements can interact with medications or have side effects, so you may want to consult with a doctor first before trying anything new.

So I hope that this article was useful in any aspect and give you some new alternatives and ideas to try, so may of my friends family and myself are all experiencing greater levels of anxiety just trying to process what is happening during this outbreak. What are some ways that you cope with anxiety and stress? Maybe we can help each other out. 



Healthy thinking may not be enough to help some people who have worry and anxiety. Call your doctor or therapist if you think you need more help.

3 comments:

  1. I fully support that people should be going outside to help support their mental health. You stay inside and those four walls just seem to get closer and closer until they feel like they are pressing in. Go outside!!! Breathe fresh air!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I go for long walks and I love my hot baths at night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips to utilize during anxious and stressful times. With everything going on in the world with Civid-19, this post is especially helpful. I've been spending time in my 1/2 an acre backyard, that's also certified wildlife habitat. It is so peaceful. I also have sprigs of Lavender near to calm me when needed.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below, let me know you enjoyed reading my blog.